Carrierwave has an RMagick module that offers a handy
manipulate! method that takes a block where you can modify the image, and then it saves the changes to the image.
But sometimes you only want to interrogate the image, and there’s no need to save any changes.
After spending probably 30-45 minutes trying to figure out how to read an image that may not necessarily exist on your local disk, the simplest solution we found was to call
uploader#read to get the contents of the file as a string, and then pass that into
Ask for Help
- I asked if there’s a date library in Ruby as rich as Java’s JODA
Suggestions included Chronic and RI_CAL though I’m hoping for something that can represent arbitrary periods (ranges?) of time JODA and handles interval calculation and other such date/time arithmetic.
- is(‘:visible’) doesn’t always work as expected in Jasmine
One project reported that using this to as part of a Jasmine spec to ensure that an element becomes visible doesn’t appear to be reliable.
- Annotate and Git History failed for a team using Rubymine 2.0.2 and git 220.127.116.11 in combination with svn.
They solved the problem by downgrading to git 18.104.22.168:
I followed instructions here to create a local set of portfiles:
http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories and grabbed the older portfile from here:
After I could do a port search git-core and have 22.214.171.124 show up, I was able to
sudo port deactivate git-core @1.7.2_0+doc+svn and
sudo port install git-core @126.96.36.199+doc+svn
- One person was experienced compile errors when installing
memprof on Ubuntu, fortunately somebody else had gotten this working before and offered to help him through thee.
- A team noticed that Bundler ran multiple (4) times on CI taking nearly 11mins overall and wanted to know to make Bundler run only once
It was suggested that the problem may be due to the way they’d setup their
preinitializer.rb and they should move the
bundle install into a Rake task.
puts "IS_CI_BOX is set, running
system(‘bundle install’) || raise(“‘bundle install’ command failed. Install bundler with
gem install bundler.”)
It was pointed out that they should make sure their
Gemfile.lock file is checked into version control, which it was. Additionally Bundler 1.0.0 RC1 will allow isolating gems to a local path using
bundle install path --disable-shared-gems
- The Facebook Graph API doesn’t appear to implement OAuth 2.0 properly/completely so it doesn’t work with the OAuth2 gem
- One Pivot noticed that the version of ImageMagick installed on the default EngineYard solo image is out of date and had to upgrade this manually.