- CruiseControl – setup: We are still setting up individual instances of CC for the various projects. There is also a CruiseControl RB project specifically for Ruby, which we’ll check out.
- CruiseControl – branch: We have a custom version of CC that both fixes CC bugs and also runs our Rails CI environment. We’ve submitted our bug fix patches to the CC team, but they haven’t integrated them or formally responded an any way. Bummer.
- Checking into a ‘red build?’: At least one project has been ‘red’, or broken, for several days, while developers continue to check into them. This is considered a no-no, but this situation is rarely black and white: some checkins were supposed to fix the build, so developers checked in additional code, too. More discussion to be had later. Sounds like a great topic for this site.
- Brown Bag Topic: Rails, Plugins, Etc: What’s Supposed to Work but Doesn’t. Perhaps we’ll post our Brown Bag Lunch topics here.
*Don’t forget that ActiveRecord creates transactions when saving, and that associated objects are also saved, in transactions. Thus a transaction failure will ‘unroll’ all of the changes.
Ask for Help
- More projects need help getting CruiseControl running for their CI environments.
- One of our projects is using Java + Jetty + JSP + IntelliJ IDEA and a few developers wanted to get some expert advice from everyone. They are running into some weird issues that are not well documented.