I’ve found that typing in column mode to be very useful when using editors like IntelliJ or TextMate. VI also has a column edit mode, that is a little tricky to use.
To use it, press:
- Ctrl + V to go into column mode
- Select the columns and rows where you want to enter your text
- Shift + i to go into insert mode in column mode
- Type in the text you want to enter. Dont be discouraged by the fact that only the first row is changed.
- Esc to apply your change (or alternately Ctrl+c)
You will now see your changed applied.