It’s Monday, and a blizzard in the Lake Tahoe area has stranded several of our developer. No interesting things for standup today.
Only project updates today.
- Subversion Tip: We were reminded of a handy tip: when saving shell scripts in subversion, you can save them as both executable and also in a ‘native’ end-of-line style, which will run on any platform.
$> svn propset svn:executable ON somescript.sh
$> svn propset svn:eol-style native somescript.sh
- Another handy plugin we’ve used many times: QueryTrace. It helps you find slow database queries, but it really floods your logs with data, so make sure to turn it off in production!
- We’re using appable_plugins for several projects but having problems with dependencies between the plugins, especially in fixtures. This might be caused by our fancy-dancy fixture loading extensions.
Ask for Help
ruby -r profile, and our own custom ruby test benchmarker, amongst others.
- One project is seeing a very strange memory leak that causes 100MB of memory loss per second (guh! guh!). It started when they begin using
ActiveRecord.connection.execute("some sql") to build some reporting statistics, but it seems too early to blame that. Coincidental, though.
Brown Bag Lunch Topic: Rails 1.2 features, ideas, and gotchas.
Total Stand-up Meeting Time: 25:00 minutes
- We’ll be sending 6 people to RailsConf, so say ‘hi’ if you see the Pivots!
- We have a fix to our Amazon S3-causing-mongrel-to-hang problem: you can tell the connection not to be persistent by passing in
:persistent => false:
:access_key_id => access_key,
:secret_access_key => access_key,
:persistent => false
Ask for Help
Total Stand-up Meeting Time: 14:00 minutes
Not much of interest today beyond project updates.
Total Stand-up Meeting Time: 17:00
Brief project reports, and that’s it!
Total Stand-up Meeting Time: 9:30 (a new record!)