At Pivotal Labs, one of the services we provide our clients is helping them interview and hire. Pivotal Labs and our clients place a strong emphasis on Agile development and its many aspects: Pair Programming, Test-Driven Development, rapid iterations, and frequent refactoring.
Below is the description for a Ruby developer position for Bookish, a new venture backed by some of the biggest publishers in the world, who are redefining the way people discover, explore, and interact with books and authors.
At Bookish our core platform is built in Ruby and Scala, with reading apps built on SproutCore. We love open source and seek to build meaningful contributions for the Ruby and Scala communities. We also run the NYC SproutCore meetup, which will feature Yehuda Katz in September.
This position starts as long-term contract and can become full time.
We love Agile when it’s sensible and foster a fantastic work environment in our 18th Street HQ, next to City Bakery. We have top of the line Mac workstations and accessories, Thursday social hours, Friday lunches, Xbox, and a nap room.
We are seeking creative, motivated ROR and JS developers to:
- Design and code highly interactive Web and Client-side UX with pjax and handlebars.
- Contribute to our test-driven culture and help automate everything
- Love being on a team that is pragmatic, clever, open-minded and hard-working.
- Prototype new approaches fast — deploy early and often.
- Troubleshoot and maintain critical production and testing environments. Diagnose and address issues whenever and wherever they occur.
- Run hard and reap the rewards with our tight-knit team.
- Help build our Ruby depth, mentor and be mentored, and learn a ton in the process.
- +1 for Rubyists interested in Scala and SproutCore
We seek Ruby and JS experience, but above all generalists who have lots of successes committing at every layer of the stack, ideally on consumer-scale apps. You must write well-structured, readable, well-documented and tested code. (Be able to show us samples of which you are most proud.)
- Ambitious, driven, and talented individuals who wants to work on hard problems
- Team player who feels at home in a flat-structured, highly collaborative and sometimes noisy environment.
- Strong opinions about BDD, testing, deployment, version control and dependency management
- Ability to balance beauty and pragmatism in your designs and code.
- Relational databases (Postgres 9)
- Linux: expert day-to-day facility
- Enjoy pair programming from time to time.
- Believe the only way to deliver quality fully engaging with all stake holders.
- Search (scoring functions, clustering, distributed indexing, etc.) with SOLR/Lucene
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, EBS, etc.) and cloud infrastructure in general.
A minimum of 3 years applicable software engineering, with a trail of outstanding references from peers. Reference-able projects you have coded from stem to stern, of any size. Minimally a BA/BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field.
To apply please send the following to email@example.com:
- Cover email explaining why you want to join us.
- Resume (online, PDF, or plain text) and link to online profiles (Twitter, Github, StackOverflow, Quora, LinkedIn)